Now we are aware that Calcium is very important for the body to keep strong bones (click here to read about calcium). Let’s learn a little more about iron. The main function of this mineral is the transportation of oxygen to many places of our bodies such as lungs, tissues and heart. Our bodies are efficient, economical and conservative when it comes to the usage of iron, that’s why a low quantity of iron is necessary, what makes of vegetal sources a good option for our consumption, since, the kind of iron present, has a lower percentage of absorption than the animal sources.
It’s important to know how to optimize the absorption of iron and the food that contains higher amounts of this mineral.
- Iron is best absorbed when consumed along with vitamin C (limonade is one great ally and alkalizing).
- The following foods are rich in iron and in micronutrients that improves its absorption (like vitamin C):
- Flaxseed: 4,7 mg of iron per 100 grs. – Soak the seeds for at least 24 hours and wash them before consuming them blended.
- Walnuts: 2 mg of iron per 100 grs. – Soak the nuts for at least 24 hours and wash them before consuming them.
- Almonds: 3,1 mg of iron per 100 grs. – Soak the nuts for at least 24 hours and wash them before consuming them.
- Kale: 0,5 mg of iron per 100 grs
As we can perceive, nuts and seeds are functional foods rich in minerals, so it is important to include in our diets those that are better for us (click here to read about expanding the perception about our bodies).
- Human nutrition in the developing world. Available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/W0073E/W0073E00.htm
- Brazilian Table of Food Composition (Portuguese). Available at http://www.unicamp.br/nepa/taco/contar/taco_4_edicao_ampliada_e_revisada.pdf?arquivo=taco_4_versao_ampliada_e_revisada.pdf
Articles at PEA: https://en.empoweringangle.com/category/angel/